E-Therm Slim is a floor insulation panel, specifically designed for solid floors where space is limited, and excavating is not an option. E-Therm Slim will raise your floor level by 42 mm/52mm.
Many older homes or garages will have ground floors made from either uninsulated or poorly insulated solid concrete. We can treat these solid floors with E-Therm Slim to increase comfort levels and to save money.
E-Therm Slim - Technical information
Tiles can be laid onto the floor using a flexible tile adhesive and recommended primer.
Carpets & Vinyls
By using Instalay’s self-adhesive underlay, carpets can be securely fitted without the need for glue and edge fixed carpet grippers. The high impact layer of the E-Therm Slim’’s panel provides protection for the insulation layer against point loadings like heavy furniture and bedding.
Laminate / Floating Floors
Floating floors can be laid on top of the E-Therm Slim panels, however for best results we would recommend using a high quality underlay, preferably Instalay adhesively fitted floors perform better for a longer period of time.
Laying E-Therm Slim Flooring
- Once the floor is level, clean and free of loose debris prepare the first board.
- Apply enough flexible tile adhesive evenly for one panel. ~(See Fig 1 page 1)
- Trim 50mm off the shiplap edges.
The first board should be laid in the left hand corner of the room. The short edge of the panel should align with the short side of the floor (1) and the long edge of the panel (B) should align with the long side of the floor (2).
Before laying second panel run a bead of Magnaseal on the bottom 6mm board on the first panel to create a seal.
The board may need to be altered if the corner of the room is not totally square.
- Measure and Mark the panel to the size required.
- Cut across the “panel using a handsaw or circular Saw.
- Allow a 3-5mm expansion gap around the perimeter of the floor if required.
Continue laying the boards in this manner until the first row is complete. Cut the final board if required
- Use the offcut from the final board in the first row to start the second row.
- Minimum size of stagger in joints is 150mm
- Minimum size of offcut to use should be no less than 150mm x 1200mm
- Continue the step’s above until the floor area is covered. Cut the final row of panels if required
- Using Magnaseal fill all the joints between boards and scrap off excess
When calculating U–values to BS / I.S. EN ISO 6946: 2007, the type of mechanical fixing used may change the thickness of insulation required. The use of carbons steel fasteners of cross sectional area 4 mm2 has been assumed at a density of 16.7 per m2.
For the purposes of these calculations the standard of workmanship has been assumed good, and therefore the correction factor for air gaps has been ignored.
The figures quoted are for guidance only. A detailed U–value calculation and a condensation risk analysis should be completed for each project.
The U−values in the tables that follow have been calculated, under a management system certified to the BBA Scheme for Assessing the Competency of Persons to Undertake U-value and Condensation Risk Calculations, using the method detailed in BS / I.S. EN ISO 6946: 2007 (Building components and building elements. Thermal resistance and thermal transmittance. Calculation method), and using the conventions set out in BR443 (Conventions for U−value calculations). They are valid for the constructions shown in the details immediately above each table.
These examples are based on the use of 3 mm High Impact board bonded to 10mm,20mm PIR which is subsequently wrapped in a highly durable and robust vapour control layer
E-Therm Slim PIR Flooring is available throughout Ireland and the UK please contact us for orders
Handling and Storage
- Packs of E-Therm Slim PIR Flooring is delivered to site wrapped in polythene.
- Store panels in original packaging till ready to use
- Health and Safety
- The product is chemically inert and safe to use.